6.12.2004

I hope that all of you readers get an opportunity to listen to the Reagan funeral. Bush senior's speech was surprising. When he make the superlative ("I learned more from him . . . than from anyone else I encountered in all my years of public life") and choked with emotion--this was certainly the most moving part of the entire service. One may tend to think of him as a liberal Republican who came to high office by benefit of Reagan's capital. One saw a different side at that moment. For his part, Bush junior spoke more presidentially, more like Reagan himself in his ceremonial pulpit manner, than probably just about anything we have heard since Reagan himself was in the role. Made me proud--and left me wanting to do something for the campaign. And Thatcher's eulogy was, well, very fine English.

No comments: