1.18.2003

Why wear blinders.

During my senior year at Hillsdale, a friend of mine, Jacob, a triple major in philosophy, English, and classics, shared a house with a religion/philosophy major and an alumnus, both of whom were pre-seminary, and our mutual friends. As the year waxed full, these two spent a huge amount of time debating the finer points of justification in reference to a perceived heresy of a religion prof. Reacting to this, Jacob observed--and it's always stayed with me--"I just can't understand how good people can be so exclusively interested in theology, to the point of being oblivious to everything else."

Unfortunately, most (though not all) of the Reformed people I've met are basically like this. This is one of the reasons why I think that many of the brighter and more open Reformed people (and even more evangelicals) eventually leave the austerity of their ghetto for the cultural depth of Rome or the oriental opulence of Constantinople. And, while I am theologically more or less an orthodox neo-Augustinian, I'm culturally more "catholic" than Puritan, and identify myself with the orthodox pluralism of the Old West rather than with the modern sectarianism of the Isles.

2 comments:

No Deposit Bonus said...

I have many poker blog sites and i want to link exchange with you today. Do you have more websites poker related for me ? Thanks for time. You could visit my sites below, thanks a lot.
--------------

www.pokermaniac.eu
Learn free omaha stud poker with Tunisia, Senegal, Turk players
poker sans depot
school for poker and learn with instant game to win real prizes
poker sin deposito
Become online texas holdem poker player and win few dollars.
darmowy poker
Darmowy bonus bez depozytu dla gracza z Poland, Romania, Bulgaria i New Zealand.
start money bonus

Poker Bez Depozytu said...

I like this read. I have poker news for all.
--------------
Buy a used or new laptop and new tv set and fun for free.
make money instantly
Play no limit games with players from Kenya, Belgium, San Marino.
free dollars for US
Free starting capital and play NOIQ poker room, Time, Betmost and Full Tilt.
basic poker rules
Receive starting capital for free and play bonuses without deposit.
play games online
Looking to play online ? Start career with no money in your account.
TV Deals for poker Tv.