12.13.2002

Neoplatonism

A conversation with Dr. DiCarlo (my erstwhile Arabic-learning associate and fellow speculatee of epic poetry, the history of ideas, and comparative religion) brought up the point of good books on Neoplatonism. I said I thought that the short list should just be MacKenna's translation of the Enneads, the Pseudo-Dionysius corpus, and the new I Tatti edition of Ficino's Platonic Theology. Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

This is really one of my research interests. The problem is that some aspects of Neoplatonism are very positive (IÕm blanking on what those exactly are right now LOL) but it has pervasively influenced Christian theology in ways to which many Christians are simply oblivious. The doctrine of the immortality of the soul is but the most obvious of these.

No comments: