12.10.2002

A Quote on Zero Tolerance

"I cannot tolerate this age. And I will not. I might have tolerated you and your Catholic church and even joined it, if you had remained true to yourself. But now you're part of the age. You've the same fleas as the dogs you've lain down with. I would have felt at home at Mont-Saint-Michel, the Mount of the Archangel with the flamming sword, or with Richard Coeur de Lion at Acre. They believed in a God who said he came not to bring peace but the sword. Make love not war? I'll take war rather than what this age calls love. Which is a better world, [****] fornicating Happyland USA or a Roman legion under Marcus Aurelius Antonius? Which is worse, to die with T. J. Jackson at Chancellorsville or live with Johnny Carson in Burbank?"

Walker Percy, Lancelot, p. 144.

No comments: